A MultiLingual Type Design Firm
“AvanType Foundry” was established in 1998 as a private type design firm; focusing on authentic multi-script type development, in addition to special orders for custom-designed fonts.
As a foundry, it also straddles two other aspects: the classical and the technological – a process which began with digitizing a collection of hand-drawn fonts by Habib Khoury during more than two decades ago.
In early age, Habib Khoury started a self taought Arabic calligraphy; Then he has enrolled into academic design studies for over eight years.
In 1995 Habib graduated from Central Saint Martins College in London (The University of Arts) with distinction of Communication Design Masters degree. Habib‘s design experience has prompted him to relocate between Haifa, London, and New York. His design work expresses an authentic approach which reflects a multicultural scope and varied interests.
- 1997 > “Print-America’s Magazine” interview.
- 1999> Macromedia People’s Choice – 2nd Place “Adorey” Latin font.
- 2001 > Dedicated chapter in the book “Arabic Typography” H. Smitshuijzen-Saqi Books-London.
- 2001 > “Bukva-Raz” Award by The Association Typographic International. “Maqsaf” font, amongst 100 chosen world typefaces – Atypi & Unisco.
- 2003 > Falafel-font “Certificate of Excellence in Type Design” ; Type Directors Club -New York.
- 2005 > Hogariet font, Certificate of Excellence in Type Design for the font: ; TDC-NYC.
- 2008 > Al-Rajhi-font “Juries Choice” Award and “Certificate of Excellence in Type Design” TDC.
- 2010 > 1st Place Award- The international Arabic Typography Contest by Adobe-Winsoft Intl.
- 2015 > “Arabic Font Specimen Book” Edo. Smitshuijzen Amsterdam.