A MultiLingual Type Design
“AvanType Foundry” was established in 1998 as a private type design firm; focusing on authentic multi-script type development, in addition to special orders for custom-designed fonts.
As a foundry, it also straddles two other aspects: the classical and the technological – a process which began with digitizing a collection of hand-drawn fonts by Habib Khoury during more than two decades ago.
Habib Khoury a self taought Arabic calligrapher from an early age, Then he boosted his talent when enrolled into academic design studies for over eight years, which ended with a Masters degree from Central Saint Martins College in London (Later; the University of Arts) where he graduated with distinction. Habib‘s design experience has prompted him to relocate during several years between Haifa, London, and New York. His design work expresses an authentic approach which reflects a multicultural life and varied interests.
- 1997 > “Print-America’s Magazine” interview.
- 1999> Macromedia People’s Choice – 2nd Place “Adorey” Latin font.
- 2001 > Dedicated chapter in the book “Arabic Typography” H. Smitshuijzen-Saqi Books-London.
- 2001 > “Bukva-Raz” Award by The Association Typographic International. “Maqsaf” font, amongst 100 chosen world typefaces – Atypi & Unisco.
- 2003 > Falafel-font “Certificate of Excellence in Type Design” ; Type Directors Club -New York.
- 2005 > Hogariet font, Certificate of Excellence in Type Design for the font: ; TDC-NYC.
- 2008 > Al-Rajhi-font “Juries Choice” Award and “Certificate of Excellence in Type Design” TDC.
- 2010 > 1st Place Award- The international Arabic Typography Contest by Adobe-Winsoft Intl.
- 2015 > “Arabic Font Specimen Book” Edo. Smitshuijzen Amsterdam.